Questions and Answers

Address Change(Employee Self Service)
How do I change my mailing address?
Log on to the Employee Self Service Portal located at: https://my.fiu.edu/employees.html
In addition, if you have benefits through any of these companies, you must contact them directly to update address information as well.

ARAG Legal Plan

(800) 247-4184

Web Online
Gabor plans, including those listed below:
Gabor Short Term Disability
Gabor Long Term Disability
Gabor Long Term Care
Gabor Life
Jim Hopler

(954) 559-0286

Mark Braginsky

(754) 235-6275

Fidelity Investments
Customer Service (800) 343-0860


Ashley O'Kurley (305) 951-6454
Robert Fitzgerald (561) 391-5767
Joanne Waldorf (305) 670-1233
Stuart Klein (305) 671-1233
Jefferson National
Ashley O'Kurley (305) 951-6454
Robert Fitzgerald (561) 391-5767
Richard Akirmaian (954) 443-9695
Toi Bennett (561) 393-1309
T. Rowe Price
Customer Service (800) 492-7670
Vanguard Group
Customer Service (800) 662-2003
Ashley O'Kurley (305) 951-6454
Robert Fitzgerald (561) 391-5767

Application Assistance (Recruitment Services)
How do I apply for a job at FIU?
To view a list of jobs at FIU, please visit the JOBSLink website at http://www.fiujobs.org . By visiting our website you will be able to create an account, complete an on-line application, view our current openings, apply for a position and check the status of any position for which you have applied for.
How do I apply for a faculty position at FIU?
To be considered for a faculty position at FIU, you must access our website at http://hr.fiu.edu/. By visiting this website you will be able to view current openings that you might be interested in, as well as, the process for submitting your resume/curriculum vitae.
I forgot my username/password, can you help me?
Please contact Workforce Recruitment at (305)348-2500 or at (305) 919-5545 during hours of operation to assist you with accessing our JOBSLink website
How can I attach resumes, cover letters, or other required materials?
Application materials (e.g. resume, cover letter, etc.) must be attached as part of your online application and should not be faxed or e-mailed.
Can I submit a paper application?
You may print the application for your records; however, Florida International University only accepts electronic applications.
How can I check my application status?
Please refer to your online application account for information on the status of jobs for which you have applied.
Do I have to complete an application for each job opening that I apply for? How long will my information be in the system?
You do not have to complete an application more than once, unless revising or updating information. Your application data will be removed from the system after a period of two years.

“At Will” Clause (Employee & Labor Relations)
Which employees does the “at will” clause apply to?
It applies to all staff and administrative employees with the exception of nurses and law enforcement officers, including lieutenants.

Benefits Enrollment (Benefits)
Is enrollment automatic?
Enrollment is not automatic. Employees must enroll in insurance plans within 60 days from the date of hire. If employees miss the 60-day enrollment period, changes can be made during the annual Open Enrollment period. Any changes made during Open Enrollment will become effective January 1st of the next year.
After enrollment, do I receive membership cards?
Yes. The insurance company mails cards after the effective date of coverage to the employee's home address as it appears on the employee's W-4 form on file.
If I did not enroll in health insurance when I was hired, can I change my mind later?

Employees have 60 days from the date of hire to enroll. After that time period, employees may only enroll during the Annual Open Enrollment unless the employee experiences a Qualifying Status Change (QSC).

If you have a QSC, you typically have 31 days from the date of the QSC to make any changes to your benefits (like enrolling, cancelling, increasing coverage or changing family status). The following are some examples, but not all, valid QSC events:

Marriage or divorce
Legal guardianship
Change in dependent eligibility
Change in employment status for you, your spouse, or dependent:
Death of a spouse or dependent, a birth or adoption (60 days for notice rather than 31 days)

Benefits Open Enrollment (Benefits)
When is Open Enrollment?
In the Fall of every year.

Benefits Questions (Benefits)
Where can I find summarized information on my Benefits?
There is a Benefits Handbook in the FIU HR website that provides an overview of benefits available to a new employee.
Where can I find insurance brochures?
Brochures can be viewed by checking the Guides and Brochures Section of the FIU Benefits website located at:
or by visiting the People First website at:
How long can I keep my children as dependents on my insurance?
Children may remain on the insurance plan without having to provide proof of dependency until age 19. From ages 19 to 25, proof is required each semester that the child is in school or living at home and is financially dependent on the employee. The child may stay on the insurance coverage through December 31st of the year of their 25th birthday. A dependent's coverage will be suspended for not providing proper documentation.
What happens to my insurance coverage if I decide to go on a leave of absence without pay?
If you do not receive a paycheck, premiums for insurance coverage must be paid by personal check or money order. You must contact Benefits Administration to make arrangements to cancel or continue insurance coverage during the duration of the leave of absence without pay.

Complaints (Equal Opportunity Programs)
If I feel that I am being discriminated against, where do I go? Who do I speak to?
Discrimination complaints are handled by the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs which is located in PC -215.
Where else can I go to file a complaint if I don't want to file it with the university?
Complaints may be filed externally with state and federal agencies. In the case of students the agency would be the Office for Civil Rights (OCR). Employees may file with the FHRC or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
What is the number for the EEOC?
(305) 808-1740. Their office is located at 2 South Biscayne Blvd., Suite 2700, Miami, FL 33131.
Who's responsible for ADA accommodation at the University?
The Office of Equal Opportunity Programs is responsible for employee accommodations and the Disability Resource Center is responsible for students.

Development & Learning Services (Talent Management & Development)
What is Organization Development?
Organization Development (OD) is the practice of enhancing the strategic and operational components of organizations. The process is carefully planned and implemented to benefit the organization, its employees and other stakeholders. OD encourages client involvement throughout the entire process. Assessments are conducted to create an understanding of the current situation and to identify opportunities that will advance organization mission and help meet strategic objectives. Thereafter, TMD consultants/facilitators collaborate with clients to gather data, define issues and determine a suitable course of action.
How do I know what TMD services are appropriate for my Division/Department, team, or me?
TMD conducts assessments to take inventory of strengths, development needs, achievements, challenges, and priorities. Thereafter, our consultants/facilitators collaborate with clients to determine a suitable course of action.
What services does TMD offer?
TMD provides consultation, strategic alignment, learning and development, and employee relations support to Divisions/Departments, teams, and employees. Please click on the Our Services' link for a more comprehensive listing of the services provided. Our Services .
Who are ODL clients?
Our clients include the University, Divisions/Departments, teams, and employees.
Is there a cost associated with ODL services?
While most TMD services are offered at no cost, a fee may be charged for special materials and resources. For more information, please contact us 305-348-3206.

Direct Deposit (Payroll)
How do I sign up for Direct Deposit?
Participation in the Direct Deposit Program is a condition of employment for ALL employees as mandated by Section 110.13 of the Florida Statutes as well as University policy. Employee can sign up or change their direct deposit by logging on to the Employee Self Service Portal or completing the Direct Deposit form found on our website. adpdirectdepositform.pdf and send it to the HR Payroll by mail or by fax. Please allow three to four weeks for the first direct deposit to begin.
Can I split my direct deposit between different banks?
Yes, employees may now deposit to different institutions. They may designate a dollar amount to be deposited into each account.

Dress Attire (Employee & Labor Relations)
What does the University define as Business Attire?
Business attire consists of business suits, dress slacks, button-down shirts, hosiery, closed-toe shoes, or department-specific uniforms. Departments will be responsible for establishing standards of appropriate attire for their area.
If you don't work with the public, can you dress casual and wear jeans?
Note, that based on the community feedback of this policy, the policy has been changed. Each department will establish standards of appropriate attire for their area. Departments will be responsible for establishing standards of appropriate attire for their area.

Educational Incentive Award (Compensation)
Is an employee eligible to receive an Educational Incentive Award if the employee is awarded a second Master’s or Bachelor's degree?
An employee may be eligible for an Educational Incentive Award upon approval by the Department Head if the course of study is relevant to the position and/or departmental needs.
For details and the actual policy, please refer to the Educational Incentive Award Policy in the Policy Library located at: http://policies.fiu.edu/.
Since the Educational Incentive Award Policy says “may be awarded”, does this mean that the supervisor may decline to submit a request for an award?
Yes, an award should be relevant to the position and/or departmental needs. Participation should be approved by the Department Head.
For details on the Educational Incentive Award Policy and the actual policy, please visit: http://policies.fiu.edu/.
If there a deadline for approval of an Educational Incentive Award? How is that based on the University’s requirements?
The Educational Incentive Award is granted upon approval by the supervisor if the course of study is relevant to the position and/or departmental needs. It would be up to the Department Head to approve the award once the degree is completed.
Who pays for all compensation monetary awards, such as Spot Awards, Educational Incentive Awards, and Project Based Pay Bonuses?
The departmental budget pays for these awards.

Exit Review (Employees & Labor Relations)
Exit Reviews: How will that be managed?
As employees separate their employment from the University, we will contact them to either schedule a meeting or invite the employee to simply complete the forms located at our website and forward to the DHR. There are two forms to be completed, one optional and the second, Separation Clearance form is mandatory.

Faculty Positions (Equal Opportunity Programs)
Who should I speak to regarding faculty opening?
Contact the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs (EOP) for details regarding faculty positions.
How do I apply for a faculty position?
Submit a Cover Letter identifying the desired position and a CV to the Director, Equal Opportunity Programs. The office will forward the documents to the appropriate search committee.
Who do I contact about waiving the posting/advertising requirement?
You need to contact the EOP director in reference to any type of waiver of requirements.

Fair Labor Standard Act (Compensation)
What is the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)?
The FLSA is a federal law which establishes minimum wage, child labor provisions, record keeping and overtime provisions. The Act requires that most employees in the United States be paid at least the federal minimum wage for all hours worked and overtime pay at time and one-half the regular rate for all hours worked over 40 hours. The regulations identify and exclude certain workers (exempt) from FLSA coverage.
Are there exemptions from the minimum wage and overtime provisions?
Yes, the FLSA provide an exemption from overtime pay for employees employed as bona fide executive, administrative, professional and certain computer related positions. Employees must be paid at least $455 per week ($23,660) annual in order to qualify for these exemptions.
What does it mean to be exempt or non-exempt?

Simply put, employees holding non-exempt positions are those that must be paid in accordance with the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Employees in these non-exempt jobs are required to record their time and be paid overtime for any hours worked over 40 hours in a workweek.

Exempt positions, on the other hand, are excluded (exempted) from coverage and do not need to be paid overtime. Employees in exempt positions are paid the same amount each workweek regardless of the hours they work.

When is overtime due?
Normally, overtime pay earned in a particular workweek must be paid on the regular pay day for the pay period in which the overtime was worked.
What is the federal minimum wage?
The federal minimum wage is $5.15 per hour.
How is a job determined to be exempt or non-exempt?
All positions in the University are analyzed in accordance with the FLSA. Each position’s duties and responsibilities are put through a salary level, salary basis and job duties test under the FLSA. A position must meet all of the requirements under these tests in order for a position to be considered exempt from the provisions of the FLSA.
If a position has manager or supervisor in the job title, is it exempt or non-exempt?
Job titles do not determine exempt status. The FLSA stipulates that the actual duties of the position determine the exempt status of a position regardless of the position title.
How often should position descriptions be prepared?
Position descriptions should be revised whenever the duties of the positions changed. This is important since the exempt or non-exempt status of any particular employee must be determined on the basis of whether the employee’s salary and duties meet the requirements of the regulations.
How should employees record time worked?
All hours worked by non-exempt employees must be recorded on the official University time card.
What are hours worked?
Hours worked are all time which the University requires or permits the employee to be on duty or at a prescribed workplace or on employer’s premises.
Does the FLSA require employers to provide lunch and coffee breaks?
FLSA does not require lunch or coffee breaks. However, when employers offer short breaks (usually lasting from 5 to 20 minutes) the break is considered time worked and must be paid.
Are we supposed to get two 15-minute breaks if we work 8 hours per day?
The University supports rest periods although not required by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and encourages departments to allow their employees the breaks based on the operational needs of the department.
Are meal periods considered hours worked?
No, bona fide meal periods of 30 minutes or more are not hours worked and are not compensable.
Does the FLSA require payment for holidays, vacation and/or sick leave?
The FLSA does not require payment for time not worked, such as vacations, holidays and sick leave. These are benefits awarded by the University.
What are hours worked when calculating overtime?
In calculating overtime, only hours actually worked in a given week will be counted to determine if overtime pay is required. For example, if an employee works on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday; Wednesday takes a sick day or a vacation day; and works on Saturday, the total actual work hours is only forty, not forty-eight, and thus not eligible for overtime.
How are Exempt and Non-Exempt designations assigned?

In order to determine whether a position is exempt or non-exempt, each position’s duties is analyzed and put through a salary level test and job duties test as required by FLSA.

The Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA) provides an exemption (therefore employees are said to be exempt) from the Act’s minimum wage and overtime requirements for any employee working in a bona fide executive, administrative or professional capacity, and for some computer related positions. To qualify for the above mentioned exemptions, an employee must be compensated on a salary basis at a rate of not less than $455 per week ($23,660 annual).
Any employee compensated less than $455 per week, $23,660 annual, is classified as non-exempt.
Employees who perform work involving repetitive operations with their hands, requiring physical skill, and knowledge usually acquired through apprenticeship and on the job training, not through a prolonged course of specialized intellectual instruction are non-exempt. Also non-exempt are non-management employees in production, maintenance, construction. In addition, police officers, technicians, technologists, clerks, and most secretarial positions are non-exempt.

Below are frequently asked questions and answers regarding garnishments. This is not legal advice. If you have any specific questions regarding your garnishment, you should contact the creditor, the court, or your attorney. The university is not permitted to provide legal advice. If you have further questions regarding the university's involvement in the garnishment, please contact the Payroll Department at (305) 348-2181 or email Payroll at payroll@fiu.edu.

What is garnishment?

A wage garnishment is any legal order commanding a portion of a person's earnings to be withheld by the university for the payment of a debt. Garnishment are used to recover various types of debts including unpaid taxes, non-tax debts owed to the state or federal government, court-ordered child or spousal support, past due student loan payments, or judgments for money.

Wage garnishments do not include voluntary wage assignments—that is, situations in which employees voluntarily agree their employers may turn over some specified amount of their earnings to a creditor or creditors.

What is a Levy?

The words "Levy", "Earnings Withholding Order", "Wage Assignment", or "Chapter 13 Withholding Order" are terms for a garnishment.

Does the university recognize voluntary wage assignments?

No, FIU does not recognize voluntary wage assignments.

Where should garnishments be served?

All garnishments requiring a response from the university must be served at the Office of General Counsel at 11200 SW 8th Street, Primera Casa (PC) 511, Miami, Florida, 33199. All other documents may be sent to the Payroll Department at 11200 SW 8th Street, Primera Casa (PC) 224, Miami, FL 33199.

Who can garnish my income?

Any creditor granted permission by a court or other legal authority is permitted to garnish your wages.

What is the university's role in a garnishment?

The university is legally obligated to respond to and/or abide by a Writ of Garnishment issued by a court or other authorized agency. When applicable, the university will send the court an Answer to the Writ of Garnishment containing information about your wages. You will receive a copy of the Answer at your last known address. The university will begin immediately withholding a portion of your wages. Withholdings from your wages will continue until further notice from the court or other authorized agency.

How much can you take from my checks?

The law sets the maximum amount that may be garnished in any workweek or pay period, regardless of the number of garnishment orders received by the employer. For ordinary garnishments (i.e., those not for support, bankruptcy, or any state or federal tax), the weekly amount may not exceed the lesser of two figures: 25 percent of the employee#39;s disposable earnings, or the amount by which an employee#39;s disposable earnings are greater than 30 times the federal minimum wage (currently $7.25 an hour).

What are the restrictions on child support and alimony?

Specific restrictions apply to court orders for child support or alimony. The garnishment law allows up to 50 percent of a worker's disposable earnings to be garnished for these purposes if the worker is supporting another spouse or child, or up to 60 percent if the worker is not. An additional 5 percent may be garnished for support payments more than 12 weeks in arrears.

Can FIU reduce the amount withheld?

No, this matter is between you and the creditor.

Can I skip a deduction?

No, you may call the creditor or your attorney to get a delay or to work out a different payment arrangement.

Will the garnishment amount be deducted from my net pay?

It depends upon the type of garnishment. For example, a Federal Levy will exempt a predetermined amount of your net pay from levy. Otherwise, the deduction is taken from your "Disposable earnings"

What are disposable earnings?

Disposable earnings are equal to the employee's earnings less deductions required by federal and/or state law. Required deductions include: federal income tax withholding, Social Security, Medicare, state withholding, state unemployment, and local taxes.

Do I have to pay any fee for my garnishment?

Yes, the university charges an administration fee totaling $5.00 for the first deduction and $2.00 for each subsequent deduction.

How can I have the garnishment stopped?

You should contact the creditor, the court, or your attorney to stop the garnishment. FIU is under a legal obligation to continue garnishing your wages according to the specifications of the Order of Garnishment or until the university receives notification from the court or other authorized agency stating otherwise.

Why is the Statement of Exemption Form Important?

If you get an IRS Levy it is very important that you complete your Statement of Exemptions form. By filling out the form you can receive the exempted amount you are legally entitled to. Otherwise you receive the IRS default of single with one exemption.

Health Insurance (Benefits)
What is the difference between the Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO's)?
The premiums and co-payments are the same. Doctors accepting a specific plan may vary from plan to plan.
What are the monthly premiums for individual and family health coverage for full-time employees?
For full-time employees, the monthly premium for individual coverage is $50 and $180 for family coverage.
Does family coverage under health insurance cost the same with only one dependent?
Yes. Regardless of the number of dependents, the cost of family coverage is the same.
What happens to my premium rates if I go from full-time to part-time employment?
The premiums are based on an employee's percentage of full-time employment (FTE). Changes in FTE status will result in either an increase or decrease in an employee's premium amounts. If you experience a change in employment status, please contact Benefits Administration at 305-348-2182.
When should I add my unborn baby to my health insurance coverage?
The People First Service Center urges employees anticipating the birth of a child to change to family coverage approximately 2-3 months prior to the birth of the child. If individual coverage is in effect at the time of the baby's birth, you will have 60 days from the birth of the child to enroll in family coverage. The effective date of coverage will be retroactive to the beginning of the month in which the child is born and premiums will be due accordingly.
Can I keep my health insurance coverage after I terminate from the University?
Yes. You are eligible for the health insurance plan for a specified period of time if you qualify to continue coverage after leaving the University under the terms of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA).COBRA is a federal law allows you to continue health, dental and vision coverage for up to 18 months following termination. Covered dependent(s) may continue coverage up to 36 months. To continue any other supplemental coverage, contact the company within 31 days from your termination date to complete the appropriate forms. The People First Service Center administers COBRA for all state agencies and universities. For more information, visit https://peoplefirst.myflorida.com.

Leave Balance (Payroll, Employee Self Service)
I need to know how much vacation I have available. Can I look that up myself?
Yes, all leave balances are available to view on the Employee Self Service Portal at: https://portal.adp.com/public/index.htm

New Employee Experience (Talent Management & Development)
Do I have to register for New Employee Experience (NEE) session?
Yes. To ensure that adequate materials are available for each participant, we ask that new employees coordinate with a Workforce Recruitment recruiter to ensure timely registration.
When should I attend New Employee Experience (NEE)?
All new employees should attend NEE on their 1st day of employment at FIU. NEE is held every 1st and 3rd Monday, from 9 am – 4 pm.
Why are new employees required to attend New Employee Experience (NEE)?
NEE is designed to provide new employees with the tools and resources for their career journey at FIU beyond day one. NEE helps new employees clearly understand the vision, mission, and values of the University, as well as the many benefits and opportunities associated with employment at FIU.
I am being promoted from a Temporary position, should I attend NEE?
Yes, NEE reinforces the University’s vision, mission, values and policies and procedures, as well as provide an overview of benefits received. NEE is held every 1st and 3rd Monday, from 9 am – 4 pm.
Where is New Employee Experience held?
NEE is held in the Campus Support Complex (CSC) Building, Room 1144A. Please click on the “Locate Us” link for a map and directions to our facility. Locate Us.

On Call (Compensation)
Does “on call” mean that you must be available by phone but do not have to report physically to work?
On call means that the supervisor instructs a non-exempt employee in writing to be available to return to work outside the regular work schedule, be at a fixed location, and be ready to be back at the work station when needed to perform emergency or other necessary work assignments.

Operating Hours (Employee & Labor Relations)
If University operating hours are 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., why is my office mandated to stay opened until 6:00 p.m.?
Different departments offer different services to our student community and as such we must provide services by offering early and late accessibility to our offices and services.

Outplacement Services (Talent Management & Development)
What is a layoff and who does it impact?
A layoff is the involuntary termination of an employee due to the elimination of the employee’s position and can affect any employee.
How did the University determine I would be laid off?
Selection of which employee to be retained or separated would be based on the business needs of the departments.
How much notice will I be given if I am laid off?
Employees will be notified in accordance with the appropriate guidelines as stated in the Collective Bargaining Agreement and/or University Policy.
What assistance will be provided in the job search process?

For external positions, the Division of Human Resources will provide outplacement services to impacted employees for a maximum of ninety (90) days following the lay-off notice. These services will include:

Resume Writing Assistance/Critique
Job Search/Networking Skills Coaching and Training
One-on-one Job Search Coaching
Resources and Administrative/Technical Support
Access to Employment Agencies
An overview of the Outplacement Services is provided on the DHR Website at http://hr.fiu.edu or by calling Talent Management & Development (TMD) at 305-348-3206.

What is the process for applying for a position at FIU?
The Department of Workforce Recruitment will be available to help employees identify vacancies within the University that meet their skill set and assist in the application process. Employees are encouraged to view available positions at http://www.fiujobs.org. For additional information, please contact Workforce Recruitment at 305-348-2500.
Am I guaranteed employment if I am enrolled in the Deferred Retirement Option Program (DROP)?
No. Your employment status is not changed by your DROP participation. [FRS DROP Brochure dated September 2006
What happens to my health insurance?
You may continue your health insurance plan under the terms of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) for up to two years from your layoff date and at the established COBRA rates. If you are eligible for retirement, and elect to retire, you may continue your benefits as a retiree. For additional information, please contact Benefits Administration at 305-348-2182.
What happens to my health insurance if I am in DROP?
If you are in DROP, you are considered retired, therefore, you can continue your health insurance at the retiree rates. The insurance premiums would be deducted from your monthly retirement check (once payments start).
What happens to my retirement if I am in DROP?
If you are in DROP, and are not employed with another Florida Retirement System (FRS) employer by the end of the month of your layoff date, you will be considered retired. At that point, you will receive your DROP payout options from FRS; and you will start to receive monthly retirement benefits at the end of the month after your layoff.
Who do I contact if I am in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP)?
You may contact the ORP Section at the Division of Retirement online at http://dms.myflorida.com or Benefits Administration in the Division of Human Resources at 305-348-2182 or visit www.fiu.edu/hr/Benefits and click on useful links.
What happens to my Sick Leave balance?

Sick Leave balances will be paid in accordance with University Policy and employment classification:

Administrative, Staff and Out-of-Unit Faculty: Employees with ten (10) years of continuous FIU service or more as of June 30, 2005 will be eligible for twenty-five percent (25%) of their balance as of July 1, 2005 or current balance whichever is less and up to a maximum of 480 hours.
Faculty: In-Unit Faculty Employees with more than ten (10) years of continuous FIU service will be eligible for twenty-five percent (25%) of their balance up to a maximum of 480 hours.

What happens to my Vacation Leave balance?

You will be paid for vacation leave balances in accordance with the University Policy – based on employee’s classification:

Non-Exempt Employees: will be paid for accrued vacation leave up to a maximum of 250 hours.
Exempt Employees: will be paid for accrued vacation leave up to a maximum of 352 hours.
Hours paid upon enrollment in DROP will be deducted from the maximum leave payout for the classification.

What will my last paycheck include?
Your last paycheck will include any regular hours worked for the pay period, and if applicable, will also include vacation leave, sick leave, and the notice period payment. Any outstanding balances due to the University, (i.e. unreturned items provided to the employee during their tenure at the University, credit union loans, parking decals, student financial balances) will be deducted from the employee's last paycheck.
If I am laid off, do I have appeal or grievance rights?
Yes. If your position is covered under a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), you have the right to file a grievance.
Do I have recall rights?

Yes. Out-of-Unit Faculty Members, Staff, and Administrative Employees have recall rights for one year. Should the position for which the employee was laid off become available in the affected unit, a laid off employee who is not otherwise employed in an equivalent position shall be recalled within one-year of his/her layoff. In the event an offer of re-employment is not accepted within twenty one (21) days, the employee forfeits all recall rights. The order of recall, if applicable, will be determined by management based on the business needs of the department and the University. Employees who are re-employed after a layoff in a position in the class from which they were laid off and in which they had attained regular status shall be re-employed with regular status.

Faculty employees covered by the FIU BOT – UFF Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) have recall rights for a period of two years following the layoff. In the event an offer of re-employment is not accepted with fifteen (15) days, the faculty member will receive no further consideration for recall. Out-of-unit faculty employees (not covered by the CBA) have recall rights of one year.

If I am laid off, am I eligible for unemployment compensation?
Yes. Both Benefits Administration and Organization Development and Learning will be able to provide information about the process of applying for Unemployment Compensation (temporary financial assistance to unemployed workers who meet the requirements of State law). Please note: The University does not process applications nor inform you of your actual compensation entitlement. For further information, please visit http://www.floridajobs.org/unemployment
Other questions may be referred to the appropriate functional area within the Division of Human Resources:
Workforce Recruitment (305-348-2500)
Benefits Administration (305-348-2182)
Employee & Labor Relations (305-348-4186)
Academic Affairs (305-348-2168) 
Talent Management and Development (305-348-3206)

Pay Periods (Payroll)
How many pay periods are there in the year?
Annual salary for Administrative, Staff, and 12 Month Faculty employees is calculated using 26.1 pay periods. Annual salary for 9 Month Faculty employees is calculated using 19.5 pay periods.

Paycheck Replacement (Payroll)
How do I replace a lost/damaged check?
You must complete an Employee Payroll Stop Payment Request Form. Form must be faxed to 305-348-3884.

Payroll Detail Report (Payroll)
How do I get access to the Payroll Detail Report?
To get access to the Payroll Detail Report please complete the Access Request form and fax to 305-348-3884.

Payroll Questions (Payroll)
My check is direct deposited into my checking account but I'm not getting an earning statement, how do I know the amount of my check?
That information, and more is available on the Employee Self Service Portal located at: https://portal.adp.com/public/index.htm
If I do not have direct deposit, where will my check go?
Payroll checks are available for pick up at the Payroll Office, located in PC 220.
When is payday?
Employees are paid on a biweekly basis. Click here for the Payroll Calendar.

Payroll Transfers (Payroll)
How do I request Payroll Transfer?
Payroll transfers can be requested by submitting the Payroll Transfer Form with all the appropriate information. Please note that any transfers that affect Grant accounts must be submitted to OSRA for approval.

Position Creation, Update & Reclassification (Compensation)
How do I create a new position?
In order to request a new position, click on forms, click on New Position Request Form and print. Once the hard copy form is completed and signed, please forward to the Compensation Department, PC 226 to Ms. Reina Beades. Log into the PeopleAdmin system located at https://www.fiujobs.org and create position description.
How do I create, update or reclassify positions description in the PeopleAdmin?

Log onto: https://www.fiujobs.org.

To create a user account, log into People Admin at https://www.fiujobs.org. Upon approval, log in, click on “Create User Account” and submit for approval. Once account is approved, click on “Begin a New Action” and choose “Create a New Administrative or Staff position”, follow the instructions and input information pertaining to the position/job code until final page asks whether you want to submit requests to HR. Click submit. Once approved by HR, you will be notified via email that the position has been approved. Any changes to an existing position have to be noted in PeopleAdmin and submitted to HR for approval. To update a position description log into the PeopleAdmin system, begin a new action, update an Administrative/Staff position, follow instructions and submit to HR for initial review. For unfilled positions please state in the name section (TBA) for first and last name. When a position duties change to warrant a change in title, a reclassification request is submitted by logging into PeopleAdmin and making changes to the position description. In addition, send via interoffice mail the approved Administrative Staff Change Form to Maria Elena Rodriguez at PC 226. If you need assistance using the system, please contact the Compensation Department at 305-348-6369.

Professional Development (Talent Management & Development)
Why does FIU have a Professional Development Policy?
As a learning institution, FIU is committed to helping all employees achieve performance excellence in their current positions as well as develop the knowledge, skills, and abilities to ensure future success.
Are all FIU employees required to complete 20 hours of professional development?
All FIU employees, with the exception of Faculty, are responsible for meeting the 20-hour professional development requirement. We encourage and welcome members of the FIU Faculty to pursue professional development opportunities.
Am I required to complete the 20 hours of professional development every calendar or fiscal year?
Employees must meet their 20-hour professional development requirement within the fiscal year-beginning on July 1, ending on June 30.
What is considered professional development?
Professional Development includes the following:
Learning events and/or customized programs provided by Talent Management & Development
Learning events/programs sponsored by other FIU departments
(UTS, Environmental Health & Safety, Wellness Center )
External Professional workshops, seminars and conferences
Staff meetings which include a specific educational component
Academic coursework that is directly job-related (One hour of professional development per credit hour taken)
Will I be able to pursue professional development opportunities during work hours?
Yes-the University is committed to supporting this learning initiative. We encourage all employees and managers/supervisors to jointly discuss development priorities, determine which opportunities and/or events are appropriate, and map out a plan of action. While managers/supervisors certainly have the discretion to determine when and how an employee will meet their professional development requirement, it is essential that they plan accordingly to maintain daily operations and ensure the successful completion of this requirement.
Who is responsible for monitoring the professional development progress and achievements of FIU employees?
Talent Management & Development will assist with the tracking of professional development hours earned. Employees should submit a Professional Development Tracking form. This form can be accessed by clicking on the “Professional Development” link. Employees are not required to submit this form for learning events facilitated by TMD.

Project-Based Pay (Compensation)
Is Project-Based Pay paid and added to the employee’s base pay?
No, Project-Based Pay is paid as an one time lump sum payment.

Retirement Information (Benefits)
What plan am I eligible to participate in?
Staff employees are eligible to participate in the Florida Retirement System's Pension or Investment Plan.
Administrative and Faculty are eligible to participate in the Florida Retirement System's Pension or Investment Plan or the Optional Retirement Program.
What is normal retirement age for the Florida Retirement System?
Age 62 or 30 years of service.
What is normal retirement age for the Optional Retirement Program?
There is no age or length of service requirement to begin receiving retirement payments. However, IRS penalties may be assessed if retirement occurs before age 59½.
Is there a maximum I can contribute to my tax-sheltered annuity?
The contribution limit for 2009 is $16,500 for employees under age 50 and $22,000 for those over age 50 unless the employee is eligible for any "catch up" provisions.
Employees may contribute up to the limits in both a tax sheltered annuity (403b) account and a deferred compensation (457) account. Employees should discuss eligibility and contribution options with their annuity company representative.
Can I change from one retirement plan to another?
FRS Investment Plan participants have a one-time 2nd opportunity to transfer back to the FRS Pension Plan. Keep in mind that this transfer may cost money that the employee is responsible for paying. Pension Plan participants have a onetime 2nd opportunity to transfer to the PEORP. In addition, if a Staff Pension Plan participant is hired in a new ORP eligible position, they will have 90 days to elect the ORP or remain in the Pension or Investment Plan.
What is the Deferred Retirement Option Program (DROP) and what are the criteria to participate in the plan?
DROP is an option available to employees enrolled in the FRS defined Pension Plan. It allows employees who meet normal retirement (age 62 and vested, or 30 years of service at any age; or age 55 and vested or 25 years of Special Risk service for law enforcement officers) to retire and begin accumulating the monthly retirement benefits without terminating employment for up to 60 months. The monthly retirement pension remains in a holding account earning 6.5% interest compounded annually and 3% annual cost of living increases, while the employee continues to work (but does not earn additional service credit for retirement). To be eligible for DROP, employees must be vested (six years of credible service) and eligible for normal retirement (based on years of service or age as required by their retirement class) as a member of the FRS Pension Plan.
Upon Retirement, what benefits am I eligible to continue?
Retirees will be eligible to continue their state-sponsored health insurance and state-sponsored group life insurance, if covered at the time of retirement. Premiums for both plans, if continued, are eligible to be deducted from the State of Florida’s monthly pension benefit. Employees enrolled in the Optional Retirement Program (ORP) who retire and begin receiving a benefit from their annuity at the time of separation are eligible to continue health and/or state-sponsored life insurance upon validation of retirement from the annuity company. ORP retirees will be placed on a direct pay schedule for monthly premiums. This also applies to employees whose State of Florida monthly pension benefit is less than the monthly premiums. Employees retiring will be responsible for full premiums. Employees should contact Benefits Administration for premium costs, coverage, and procedures to follow when retiring.
What are the re-employment limitations after retirement?
After retiring under the Florida Retirement System (FRS), a retiree can work for any private employer, for any public employer not covered by the FRS/ORP, or for any employer in another state without affecting his or her FRS benefits. If a retiree is re-employed by a FRS-covered employer during the first year of retirement, the following limitations apply:
• A retiree who returns to work during the first month of retirement voids retirement.
A retiree who returns to work during the 2nd through the 12th month after retirement will have pension benefits suspended for this period of time only. A retired faculty member may be reemployed as an adjunct with the university for up to 780 hours (1 full-time semester or 2 half-time semesters) during the 2nd through the 12th month after their effective date of retirement without having their pension benefits suspended.
What is the Health Insurance Subsidy (HIS) program and who is eligible for this benefit?
The HIS is a monthly supplemental payment to help offset a retiree's health insurance premium. The amount of the subsidy is based on service credit ($5 for each year, not to exceed 30 years or $150) at the time of retirement or date of entry into DROP. Only members of the Florida Retirement System (FRS pension and Investment Plan) are eligible to receive this supplement if they have health coverage.
Where can I find additional information on Retirement?
Please visit: http://www.myfrs.com.

Scholarships (Equal Opportunity Programs)
Do you have any information about minority and female scholarships?
The EOP office manages three educational programs, two for students and one for employees. There is a program for undergraduate and graduate students. The office also handles an educational leave with pay program for employees. Contact the office for more detailed information.

Shift Differential Pay (Compensation)
Is shift differential pay available to all non-exempt personnel?
Are Temporary employees eligible for Shift Differential Pay additives?
No, only non-exempt employees in classified positions are eligible for Shift Differential Pay.

Sick Leave Pool (Employee & Labor Relations)
How do I join the sick leave pool?

You must first meet all of the following criteria:

Be a Faculty, Administrative, or Staff employee
Completed six months of employment
Have an accrued sick leave balance of at least 40 hours for full - time employees, or 20 hours for part - time employees.

If you meet all of the above, please contact Joann Cuesta-Gomez in the Division of Human Resources at ext. 7-3538.

I can't remember if I am sick leave pool member, how do I find out?
Contact the Sick Leave Pool Administrator at ext 7-4186 and assistance will be provided.

Termination Guidelines (Employee & Labor Relations)
How much notice will be given to employees being terminated?
Employees with less than 10 years of services effective June 30, 2005 will receive 4 weeks’ notice for l year of service and two weeks for each additional year thereafter with a maximum of 12 weeks. Employees with more than 10 years of services effective June 30, 2005 will be grandfathered in accordance with 6C8-4.018.

Timesaver Questions (Payroll)
By when must I submit my time/leave in TimeSaver?
See Calendar for submission dates

Tuition Waiver Program (HR Customer Service Center)
Can I register during the regular registration period?
Can a part-time employee enroll in classes with the Tuition Waiver Program?
No. You need to be a full-time employee with benefits to participate in this program.
After Human Resources approves my Tuition Waiver, what process should I follow?
Once approved, Human Resources will forward the waiver electronically to the Bursar’s office for application to student financials. Once the waiver has been applied, you will receive an email with verification and a copy of the approved waiver form attached. You do not have to come back to the HR office to pick up a copy and drop it off at the Bursar’s office. This will be done automatically on your behalf.
The courses I am currently enrolled run in quarters; how will the Tuition Waiver be applied?
The Tuition Waiver Program will approve 6 credit hours for SEIU and UFF bargaining unit employees/dependents, and 7 credit hours for all others, including out of unit employees/dependents per semester (Three semesters per academic year--Fall, Spring, and combined Summer).
Are hybrid courses (half in classroom setting/half on-line) covered by the Tuition Waiver Program?
Yes, the credits are covered. However, the on-line fee needs to be paid by the employee.
Does the program cover out-of-state tuition?
No, only the in-state tuition portion is covered.
How many dissertation credit hours are covered by this program?
The program will cover six (6) credit hours per semester for those employees admitted to doctoral programs; with a maximum of thirty (30) credits.
What happens if I or my dependents do not receive a grade of "B" or better?
The University will make payroll deductions for six (6) biweekly pay periods to reimburse the cost of the course(s). The University Cashier's Office will determine the amount of the deduction based on the courses involved. The biweekly deductions will begin approximately three (3) weeks after grades are submitted.
What happens if I do not receive a grade of "B" or better and I go on leave of absence or cease to be employed at the University prior to reimbursing the University the total amount due?
The University will deduct the remaining amount from the employee's final paycheck or from any other funds due the employee. If these funds are not sufficient, the employee agrees to pay the University the remaining amount in accordance with University policy.
Are on-line courses currently being covered by this program?
Credits for online courses are covered (employee is responsible the additional on-line fee).
Are graduate courses covered by the Tuition Waiver Program for Employee's Dependent?
They are covered, with the exception of SEIU bargaining unit employees.
What fees are NOT covered by the Tuition Waiver Program or Employee's Dependent program?
For employees: any additional fees such as online fees.
For dependents: Parking, photo, health, athletic fees, etc.
Can I take credit courses per semester, as well as, my dependent(s) using the Tuition Waiver Program?
Yes, but the Tuition Waiver program entitles eligible employees and their dependent(s) enroll for up to a combined maximum of appropriate credit hours per semester.
My daughter attends the University of Central Florida but would like to take a course at FIU during the summer semester. Is the course covered by the Tuition Waiver Program for Employee's Dependents?
No, the dependent needs to be admitted as a fully-degree seeking student at FIU.
I am divorced and my son lives with his mother. She claims him in her taxes, therefore, I cannot claim him. Nevertheless, he is still my dependent. What document can I provide so that he can be covered by the Tuition Waiver for Employee's Dependents?
Please complete the form "Tuition Waiver Program Affidavit of Legal Dependent(s)" located in the Forms Library (http://hr.fiu.edu) of the Human Resources Website and provide it to HR along with the other required documents.

W2 Form & Tax Information (Payroll)
How do I request a duplicate W-2?
W-2 Requests for earnings accumulated prior to July 2007, must be requested by filling out the W-2 request form located in the Forms Library w2replacement.pdf.
W-2 requests for earnings accumulated after July 2007 may be printed from the Employee Self Service Portal.
Why is the amount on my W-2 different that the final gross year-to-date on my check?
Gross vs Taxable (W-2) gross The gross one's paycheck is actual salary paid. The amount on one's W-2 is the taxable gross.
How do you calculate taxable gross?
Taxable gross is the actual gross salary plus taxable benefits minus tax exempt deductions.
What are taxable benefits?
A taxable benefit is any type of compensation other than cash wages that the IRS has not exempted from taxation. Examples: housing, gift certificates, some moving expenses, tickets discounted by more than 20%, and gifts.
How will taxable benefits affect my paycheck?
They are subject to both Social Security tax and IRS income tax. The amount can vary from 22-47% depending on one's tax bracket. A good rule of thumb is to calculate the tax to be equal to amount 1/3 of the benefit. A $900 benefit will cost about $300 in taxes.
What are tax exempt deductions?
These are tax exempt deductions that are allowed under IRS Section 125 plans. Examples: medical related insurances, unreimbursed medical, day care expenses and Tax Deferred Annuities.
What taxes are exempt for these deductions?
Deductions under Sec. 125 are exempt from both Social Security taxes and IRS income taxes. Tax Deferred Annuities are exempt only from IRS income taxes.

W4 Information (Payroll)
When do I need to complete a new W-4 form?
A new W-4 form needs to be completed each year if you are claiming "EXEMPT" status as your withholding allowance. This form needs to be submitted to the Payroll Office. Forms may be obtained on our Web site http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf or by contacting the Payroll Office.
Employees are also required to update their W-4 information in Employee Self Service if their filing status or number of allowances has changed.

About Us Carrier Oppurtunities Departments Home The FIU Experience Organizational Chart Departments The FIU Experience