Recruitment Services works with departments to support operational excellence by facilitating temporary staffing needs through a Temporary Appointment
What is a Temporary Appointment?
A department may hire an employee for a temporary appointment for the purpose of accomplishing
one of the following:
- Short-term assignment
- Peak load assignment
- Project-based assignment
- Replacement of incumbent on Medical/FMLA defined leave
An employee on a Temporary Appointment should be hired to support a project or departmental need for a specified period of time. An employee may remain on a temporary appointment beyond the initial specified period of time under these conditions:
- Business Unit has requested a full-time or part-time equivalent position in its budget to permanently fulfill the duties of the temporary position
- Project is extended
- Temporary employee is performing the duties of an employee in extended leave and the services are still needed
Approval of extensions must be requested through Temporary and Student Employment Services.
- Seasonal employees
- Degree-seeking students
- Health Care Practitioners
- Institutional clients employed as part of rehabilitation
- Employees hired to deal with an emergency situation that affects the public, health, safety, or welfare
- Employees hired for a project that is identified by a specific appropriation or time-limited grant
- Consultants (These independent contractors are retained by contractual agreement arranged through the Purchasing Services)
Message from Director of Recruitment...
Hiring Manager Resources