Prospective Employees - Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

You may apply at our website by visiting If you are an External applicant, please select Prospective Employees. If you are a current FIU employee, please select Current Employees. For Faculty positions, please visit

  •  You will then be redirected to our Careers portal. If you haven’t already done so, please create an account.

  • Once an account is created, you will be able to apply to any job of your interest.
  • Please keep in mind the following:
    • Use Firefox Mozilla or Google Chrome
    • Only have the application open, close all other windows.
    • The system will log you off after 20 minutes for security purposes.
    • If problem persists, please clear you cache.

Can my application time-out?

Yes. You are timed-out after 20 minutes of inactivity. Also, throughout the application ensure that you are clicking the “Save” button. This will allow you to save your application and if timed out, you can re-enter into your Careers account. Click My Activities and under Applications you will find your application and the position with a status of Not Submitted. You can then re-enter into your application and finalize the application.

What happens if I am timed out?

Unless you save your work as you go, once you time-out all data entered and not saved will be lost. If you save your work, but then go over the 20 minute time-out, you lose anything entered after the last save.

How can I prevent being timed out?

Saving your application will ensure that your application does not time-out. If you get interrupted in the middle of filling out the application, take the time to “Save” prior to leaving your workstation. Please ensure that the only webpage open on your browser is Use recommended browsers (Firefox Mozilla or Google Chrome).

How to submit an application on Draft Mode?

Please log into your careers account by visiting and follow the below steps:

  • Click on My Activities link

  • Find the applications, it will read Not Submitted on the status column

  • Select the appropriate application and continue the submission process
  • Please remember to hit Submit Application
  • If you select Save as Draft you will be able to go back in and make changes

What is the administrative/staff recruitment process?

Once your application is received, it will be screened by the assigned Recruiter. If your qualifications match those of the evaluative criteria established by the Hiring Manager, your credentials will be submitted to the Hiring Manager for consideration. If your qualifications are not deemed to be a match, you will still be able to express interest to other opportunities. Applicants who progress to the next stage of the process will be contacted by either the Recruiter or the Hiring Manager to schedule an interview to further discuss qualifications for the position of interest. Candidates who are interviewed, but not selected for the position will be contacted by the assigned Recruiter or the Hiring Manager. All final decisions are made by the Hiring Manager, in consultation with the Division of Human Resources.

What is the student/temporary employee recruitment process?

Our student/temporary employment recruitment process differs from our administrative/staff procedure. Once an application has been submitted, our office forwards it to the hiring department for review. If your qualifications meet the hiring departments need and you are selected for an interview, the department will contact you.

Do FIU positions require U.S. citizenship or a legal permanent residency?

We encourage all applicants to apply to our positions. At the time of hire it is the applicants’ responsibility to provide proper documentation for employment purposes. Otherwise, each department decides if they are able to sponsor individuals to work for the university.

What to do when I forget my password or username?

If you have forgotten your username or password please select Sign In. 

You will then be redirected to the Login page.

Select Forgot User Name to find your username or Forgot Password to find your password.

How do I complete the background check?

In order to complete the background check you will need to follow the instructions sent by our background check vendor, TrueScreen. If you haven’t already received it, you will soon receive an email from with the following content:

How to add references?

  • Go to and sign in.
  • Select My Activities.
  • Select the job you would like to add references.

  • Please add your References by selecting the Manage Reference link. Make sure to click Save.

How to complete a sign on packet?

Please log in to your careers account by visiting and follow the below steps:

  • Click on My Notifications.

  • Click on You have a job offer.

  • Click on Acknowledge Offer, then press Accept.

  • Scroll down the page and enter your Social Security Number.

  • Click on Sign on Admin and Staff and complete the form.

Current Employees - Frequently Asked Questions

Is it possible for a Graduate Assistant to also work as a Student Assistant?

Graduate School does not permit employment outside of the 20 hour per week assistantship without an approved petition waiver. Requests for additional or outside employment are rarely approved.

How many hours can a student work during the summer or holiday break?

In order for students to take advantage of the “IRS” Student FICA Exception Standards, and as an International Student, a student can only work a maximum of 20 hours per week. However, during semester breaks, students can work up to 30 hours per week and still retain their exception status.

Having been a previous employee, do I have to complete a new sign-on?

All employees who have been terminated for more than a year need to complete a Sign On packet in order to be placed on payroll. The complete Sign On packet, employment documents, employment eligibility form (Form I-9), and loyalty oath should be received by the Employee Records department for processing by the appropriate payroll deadline.

How can I update my personal information such as address change, direct deposit, and W-4?

Address Change: You can update your address via Employee Self-Service accessible through the employee tab at
Navigation: MyFIU > Human Resources Self Service > Employee Self-Service > Personal Information > Home and Mailing Address.

Direct Deposit: You can update your direct deposit via Employee Self-Service accessible through the employee tab at
Navigation: MyFIU > Human Resources Self Service > Employee Self-Service > Payroll and Compensation > Direct Deposit.

W-4 Tax Information: You can update your W-4 tax information via Employee Self-Service accessible through the employee tab at
Navigation: MyFIU > Human Resources Self Service > Employee Self-Service > Payroll and Compensation > W-4 Tax Information.

Can my name be different from my Social Security Card?

No, an employee’s name should be as it appears on the Social Security Card.

Am I or my dependent eligible to participate in the FIU/State Group Insurance Program?

Certain State of Florida employees, retirees, and their dependents are eligible to participate in the benefits offered under the State Group Insurance Program. To learn more, please click here.

How much is the Health Insurance Premium Rate?

To view the current Health Insurance Premium Rates, please refer to MyBenefits page on the Department of Management Services site.

I’m turning 65. Do I need to enroll in Medicare even though I’m enrolled in FIU’s health plan?

If you are planning to keep your FIU health plan, you may defer to enroll in Medicare B (which has premiums) and simply enroll in Medicare A (which usually has no premiums). When you leave FIU, you have eight (8) months to sign up for Part B without a penalty, whether or not you choose COBRA or retiree health coverage. To sign up for Part B while you’re employed, or during the eight (8) months after employment ends, contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) directly. Upon separation, you will need the “Request for Employment Information” form from SSA which is provided by the Benefits team upon request.

When is it required to report and follow the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave process?

The employee or department is required to report leave to HR if it consists of the following:

  • Leave of four (4) or more consecutive days
  • Employee’s conditions requiring an overnight stay in a hospital or other medical care facility
  • Conditions that incapacitate the employee or a family member for four (4) consecutive days or longer
  • Chronic conditions that cause occasional periods when the employee or employee’s family member are incapacitated and require treatment by a health care provider at least twice a year (Intermittent Leave)
  • Maternity/Paternity leave

Is FMLA Paid Leave?

The FMLA is unpaid leave. However, employees at FIU are required to use their accrued sick leave and vacation leave hours. Upon depletion of sick leave, vacation leave hours, and other benefits (sick leave pool, catastrophic pool, if applicable), the employee will be placed on leave without pay status with the option of continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms as if the employee had not taken leave.

What does Workers Compensation insurance cover?

Workers’ Compensation pays hospital and medical expenses that are necessary to diagnose and treat your injury. It also provides disability payments while you are unable to work (typically, about two-thirds of your regular salary), and may pay for rehabilitation, retraining, and other benefits as well.

How long after an accident do I have to report it?

You should report the accident as soon as possible, but no later than 30 days or your claim may be denied. Reference: Section 440.185, Florida Statutes.

Can I go to my personal primary care physician?

No. Personal health insurance will not pay for a work-related injury. Medical treatment for work-related injuries is covered by using medical providers through referral from AmeriSys. Otherwise, you may be responsible for payment of unauthorized medical services.

Does Workers’ Compensation cover injuries that occur going to or coming from work?

No, injuries occurring in route are not compensable. Special rules apply when using a state vehicle.

Will I be paid if I miss time due to the Workers' Compensation injury?

The first 40 hours of missed work will be paid under Workers’ Compensation Administrative Leave, which may also be used intermittently when attending medical appointments. After the 40 hours, two thirds of your pre-injury wages are paid by the State Workers’ Compensation. The remaining one-third may be paid by using your available accrued personal leave (sick, annual, or compensation). This combination allows you to receive a full bi-weekly paycheck. Non-benefit employees do not receive the first 40 hours of Workers’ Compensation Administrative Leave.

Performance Excellence Process FAQs

When can I access the 2019-2020 PEP documents?

PEP documents will be available in PantherSoft HR on July 1, 2020.

When are PEPs due?

Managers and employees are advised to coordinate a PEP timeline so that 100% completion is achieved by September 30, 2020. Completion includes having the meeting, employee acknowledgement, final submission and second-level approval.

The timeline below may be useful for finishing on time:

The timeline says that Employee Documents are due July 26th, but I don’t think I will be finished by that date. Will I still be able to access my Self-evaluation after July 26th?

Please note that the process timeline is shared as a guide for timely completion. While the timeline lists July 26th as the deadline for Employee Documents (Self-evaluations), this is only a suggestion. Employee Documents can still be accessed and completed after this date. The goal is still to have the full process completed by September 30, 2020.

Are PEP documents available for Post-Docs?

All faculty evaluations are completed through Panther180. For more information about Panther180 and to discuss your evaluation needs, you may contact Academic Affairs through

This is my first PEP document. I don’t have any goals from last year. What should I do in section 1?

Section 1: Past Year’s Goals and Achievements is pre-populated from an employee’s previous PEP document. As this is your first document, you will not have any items listed in this section. However, we suggest that you speak with your manager to add any accomplishments you achieved during this fiscal year.

I’m a manager with direct reports who were hired within the last 8 months. Will they receive a PEP document as they have not been at FIU for a full year?

All full-time, benefits eligible employees employed with FIU as of June 30, 2020 will receive a PEP Document. For employees that have been with FIU 90 days or less, there is a rating option of “Too New to Rate.” For those employees, we recommend that you focus on setting goals and expectations for the coming fiscal year. The completion of their PEP is still required. Anyone employed with FIU more than 90 days should be rated accordingly.

My direct report was on leave for part out of the last fiscal year. Would they be considered ‘Too New to Rate’ based on their time away?

The ‘Too New to Rate’ option is only for those employees who have been with FIU 90 days or less. Employees who were on leave for any period of time within the last fiscal year are to be reviewed based on their performance for the time period in which they were active.

I went to Current Documents to access my 2019-2020 PEP, but I see that there are PEPs from previous years listed there as well. Aren’t my past PEPs supposed to go to Historical Documents?

Completed PEP documents are sent to Historical Documents after 2nd level approval. If PEP documents from previous years still appear in your Current Documents folder, the PEP process was not completed. Please review the Steps and Tasks Performance Process tool, on the far left side of the PEP document, to locate the status of the PEP document. Consult with your manager for completion.

I’m a manager. I’m looking through my Current Documents and there are PEP documents listed here from previous years for employees that no longer work with FIU. What do I do to take care of these?

The Human Resources Information Systems team is working to remove open PEP documents of inactive employees by the end of this PEP cycle. During this time, managers can disregard these PEP documents. Completion reports will only identify the PEP documents of active employees.

I’m working on my PEP document after business hours. Are there any online resources I can access if I have any questions?

Yes, our PEP Toolkits are great resources for PEP guidance. We have an Employee PEP Toolkit and a Manager PEP Toolkit. In each toolkit, there are step-by-step process instructions, preparation and goal-setting documents, 2019-2020 PEP Webinar PowerPoint Slides/Video and more.

Both toolkits can be found in the ‘Trending Now’ banner on or by using the pathways below:
Employee PEP Toolkit: → Employees & Affiliates → Working at FIU
Direct link:

Manager PEP Toolkit: → Leadership → Performance Management
Direct link:

I attend conferences, courses and other job-related trainings outside of FIU. I have even done some sessions online through FIU’s Skillport and other sources. Would I be able to get Professional Development credit for attending these trainings?

Yes, you can receive professional development credit for attending external trainings. You can do so by completing the Professional Development Hours Form found in PantherSoft HR. Learning and Development > Professional Development Hours > Add Learning Event (see screenshot below).

You will need to enter the title or topic of the training event, name of the organization offering the training, the date(s) you attended, and the number of actual learning hours. Please note that breaks, lunch, and networking events are not counted toward professional development credit.

See the University’s Official Learning Opportunities Policy for reference:

Do volunteer hours count as Professional Development?

Generally, volunteer hours are not counted towards professional development. However, if you learned something that enhances your ability to perform your current role, can substantiate it and have your manager’s approval, Talent Acquisition and Management will review it on a case-by-case basis.

How would we know how to categorize our Professional Development credits as far as literacy category?

Definitions of Future Focused Literacies and suggested courses within the literacy categories are listed on the under Professional Development. Click this link for more information:

Additionally, you should consult with your supervisor regarding Next is Now literacies to plan your professional development goals accordingly.

Will the 10-hour requirement going be looked at for this fiscal year or just moving forward?

The 20-hour Professional Development requirement should be reviewed for this fiscal year as it had been in previous years. Employees and managers can now set the goals for the next fiscal year to meet the 10-hour Future Focused Literacy requirement.

Why aren’t all my Professional Development courses on the Training Summary?

At this time, the Training Summary is highlighting some of the courses completed through the website. Talent Acquisition and Management is working on increasing the scope by assigning course codes to the trainings offered through the site. Once course codes are assigned, they will appear in the Training Summary.

I took a few courses, but the Training Summary is only showing that I completed one of them. Why are some of my LinkedIn Learning courses missing?

Any courses completed through LinkedIn Learning before 6/30/2020 should now appear in your Training Summary. Please send an email to with a screenshot detailing the name of the missing course, length of course, and date of completion.

Ask Us a Question