FIU Retiree Association
The Florida International University Retiree Association was formed to serve our retirees while promoting a strong retiree campus community connection by linking retirees to service opportunities, information, and resources that enhance their retirement.
FIU Retiree Association Webpage
Volunteers & Interns
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at FIU. This page will provide you with resources and forms to complete your volunteer application.
Instructions for Volunteer or Intern Applicants
If you are a minor, you must obtain consent from a parent/ legal guardian and they must complete the parental consent portions of the forms. Please be sure all sections of the forms are completed entirely and legibly as omitting information may delay the process.
Once you have completed the required forms, it must be submitted to your intended supervisor and they will let you know once you have been cleared to start.
Instructions for Supervisors
Once you have outlined job responsibilities and clearly defined the scope of work and limits of authority, you must complete the volunteer or intern application B forms and ensure the applicant completes and submits the volunteer or intern application A forms to you.
Anyone intending to supervise or work with a minor must undergo a Level II Background Check.
To schedule a fingerprinting appointment contact Talent Acquisition and Management at (305) 348-2500.
Volunteer Application A – Applicant forms
Volunteer Application B – Supervisor forms
Intern Application A – Applicant forms
Intern Application B – Supervisor forms
Volunteer/Intern End of Appointment Notification form
Volunteer Background Check Authorization form (original must be submitted to PC234 for any clearance)
Minors in the Laboratory
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I go to inquire about volunteer opportunities?
Various departments around the university have volunteer opportunities available. You may reach out to the individual departments to find out more information about openings.
How do I know if I have been cleared to start providing services?
The department will receive an email confirmation once your information has been reviewed and approved.
What does a Level II Background check mean?
A level II background check is a criminal background check and fingerprinting.
Person of Interest
Notification of Panther ID and account provisions will be sent to the appropriate HR Liaison via e-mail from MyAccounts – Division of Information Technology.
Below is a list of POI types and their definitions:
- AAA Instructor: An MDCPS* staff and/or AP teacher not teaching FIU courses.
- Consultant: A non FIU employee providing services and working on a university initiative.
- Emeritus: A retired faculty who was granted emeritus status upon retirement. An emeritus letter needs to be attached.
- External Auditor: A non FIU employee who performs an audit in accordance with specific laws/regulations and who is independent of the entity being audited.
- External Instructor: A non FIU instructor providing educational guidance for a specified program not affiliated with FIU.
- External Trainee: A non FIU student with an affiliation with the university taking part in a trainee offered program.
- Fellowship: Students on fellowships that are either in an undergraduate or graduate program.
- Intern: Students in an academic program given the opportunity to explore career options and gain working experience at FIU.
- MAST Instructor: MDCPS* staff and teachers not teaching FIU dual enrollment courses.
- MDCPS Student: MDCPS* students participating in a partnership program with FIU.
- Non-Faculty Visiting Scholar: Visiting Scholars on a visa. Departments must send the sponsorship letter to International Student Services for processing. Once the visa is obtained, submit a POI request with attached letter.
Note: Faculty Visiting Scholars require a courtesy appointment through Academic Affairs and not a POI request.
- PantherLIFE and Embrace: Any individual, including MDCPS coordinators, who will be working/volunteering in these two programs and interacting with these students.
- Phased Retirement: Faculty who are retired under the Phased Retirement plan.
- Recruitment Search & Screen: A non FIU employee serving on a search and screen committee.
- Research/Project: A researcher or other type of academic or administrative collaborator.
- Resident Physician: A medical school graduate who is participating in a Graduate Medical Education program and training in a specialized area of medicine. Resident Physicians work under supervision of a HWCOM Faculty member.
- ROTC: Cadre from other campuses who visit to perform duties at FIU and contracted staff not teaching military science courses.
- University Trustee: Appointed by the Governor of Florida or the SUS Board of Governors.
*MDCPS: Miami Dade County Public School
Public Records Request
All records requests not being treated as a Public Records Requests need to have a signed consent from the employee. Employees and authorized vendors may view their personnel file in Employee Records in PC-224 at the Modesto A. Maidique Campus. Please call to schedule an appointment at (305) 348-2181. A photo identification and written consent is required before files may be viewed.
The university may charge for duplication costs, $0.15 per page, $0.20 per two-sided copies, or the actual cost of duplication if an unusual size or document. Additionally, if the nature or volume of public records to be copied requires extensive use of information technology resources or clerical or supervisory assistance, the university may add a special service charge described above. The university may require prepayment if the costs are high.
All subpoenas must be served directly to the Office of the General Counsel.
Third Party Employment Verification
Requests for employment verification in writing or by telephone should be directed to the Employee Records department. Human Resources limits verbal verification to name, title, dates of employment, position and salary. Written verification of salary needed for mortgage applications, wage garnishment, and credit applications, etc. must have signed consent by the employee.
Requests will be processed within 48 to 72 hours. These requests should be faxed to Employee Records at (305) 348-3884.
For an Employment Verification Letter request, the employee needs to fill out the “Employment Verification Request Form” available on Employee Self-Service:
- Login to PantherSoft HR Employee Self Service.
- Navigate to: Human Resources Self Service > Employee Self Service > Employee Forms.
- Select Employee Records Forms > Employment Verification Form.
- Enter all the corresponding information.
- Click the “Submit” button.